Friday, April 17, 2015

Ham radio and me


To introduce myself, I am  an 

Electronics and Communication Engineer by Graduation,
Software Engineer by Profession
and a Ham Radio Homebrewer/Operator by Passion.

I cannot remember when I started loving this amazing thing called Radio. 
If I look back towards my childhood days, during early 90s, I had always been loving radios and I still remember seeing walkie-talkies used by the police used to leave me wonder struck.
I used to dream to possess one of those walkie-talkies. Those were the days when there were no mobile phones and not even in your distant thoughts you could imagine that such a device would come in future to the hands of a common man.

During my childhood days, my uncle who was doing his civil engineering at that time, used to build electronics stuffs like Audio amplifiers and home-theaters. I used to be his assistant while soldering the electronic boards and I enjoyed it.This gave me a lot of exposure to electronic components, soldering and all those basic stuffs. And all these helped me in doing many hobby electronics circuits myself during my school days. Also I had a chance to build many basic AM,FM receivers and transmitters of low power levels during those days.


And this same love towards electronics and radios took me to pursue my Engineering in Electronics and Communication at National Institute Of Technology Calicut (NIT Calicut). 

Engineering provided me a different perspective of electronics, a mathematical one. Considering today's educational system, an electronics hobbyist and electronics engineer are at opposite banks of a river. But the home-brewing activities and the passion for radio circuits helped me bridge the two.

Even though I never kept away from home-brewing or electronics circuits, I could not spent much time for applying and getting a HAM licence during my college days.

Once I started working after completing my graduation, I started spending serious time into home-brewing after office hours and took the time out to get my license and thus became a licensed Amateur Radio Operator with the call sign VU3LTB. Till I got a license, I never got a chance to meet any HAMs in person and it was only me and my circuits. The license gave me a chance to meet and socialize with other Hams.

This being my first blog, I would like to thank my Ham friends who had suggested to start this blog and also  Ham friends who have been encouraging me for my home-brewing activities. I would also like to thank VU2LVJ, VU3CPE, VU2SCE, VU3ARP, VU3MOG, VU3MPK, VU2KBX, VU2SVF, VU2LSW, VU3SMZ, VU3ISJ, VU2UMX, VU2RZA, VU2YNT and the list goes on.


I hope more articles would see light through this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment